Whether you have a large business or a small one such as doing web design from home, sustainability is important. Not only does it help save the earth’s resources, it usually helps the bottom line of your business as well. Even if you can only implement one or two sustainable practices it all helps; if every business did the same the earth would soon become pristine again.
There are many green practices that can be implemented by small and large businesses alike. Here are some of them.
- Use natural light and ventilation wherever possible.
- Pop on a jumper before switching on the heater or air conditioner.
- Using an air-con takes less power than a radiant heater – so long as it’s a modern one.
- Use scrap paper for note-taking. This is easier when you have a box or tray especially for waste paper. You might print out something you don’t need now or that had an error. Keep those sheets to use for scrap. You can write notes on the back of them
- When printing, use greyscale or toner save mode for in-house copy. Make sure recycled paper does not contain sensitive information.
- Recycle toner cartridges or have them refilled instead of purchasing new ones.
- Take old printers, monitors, phones and laptops to a recycle centre, not to landfill.
- Light sensors save on the cost of lighting, especially in places such as amenities or meeting rooms that are not used all the time.
- Automatic power shut down devices will ensure your office equipment is never left on overnight.
- Choose energy efficient lighting. Simply replace bulbs as they wear out with LED or compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Ensure heating and cooling systems are not left on at night or over the weekends.
- If your toilet cistern is an old one with no ‘short flush’ ability, you can use a water displacement device in the cistern to reduce the amount of water used when flushing.
- Have staff bring their own coffee mugs and take them home again for washing. This saves plastic or paper cups going into landfill and having to wash up used mugs.
- Many envelopes and other packaging can be re-used if opened carefully. You only need to stick the new address label over the old one.
- Make sure your computer’s sleep mode is set correctly so it takes up less power when not in use.
There are many more simple ways to save energy, water and waste. By implementing these and others that you come across, you’ll be doing your bit to keep the environment happier and healthier. When each business and each person does just a little bit, it mounts up and creates a large whole.