People move house for many different reasons and some have many moves over their lifetime. It seems they no sooner get settled and they have to contact a furniture removals company like Brilliance Removalists Perth. Then they start with the whole deal of packing up their goods and taking them to another new home. This may be inconvenient, but at least moving can be done in an environmentally friendly way. Here are 10 tips to show you how.
- Use some of your linen or out of season clothes for wrapping breakables and for padding in and around the boxes. This will save on the cost and usage of bubble wrap and prevent yet more plastic going into landfill.
- If you move a lot, flatten and store your cardboard cartons to use next time. They don’t take much room when stored flat.
- Many retail stores receive their products in strong cartons, which are then sent to the recyclers. You can divert some of them for your own use. Try electrical goods stores and pharmacies to get free moving boxes.
- If you don’t move much, offer those cartons to someone else who will soon be moving.
- Some of the boxes can be used to store toys, blankets, tools and other items.
- Sell or give larger tea chest boxes away if you don’t want them. A free ad. on gumtree will often find them a home.
- Moving is often accompanied by cleaning. Don’t spend money on toxic cleaning products; make your own. Got mould or mildew? A ¼ of a teaspoon each of lavender oil and tea tree oil with 2 cups of water. Spray it onto the mould and don’t wipe it off. It will destroy the mould. Windows can be cleaned with equal parts of white vinegar and water.
- Book early to make sure you get a removalist truck to suit your load. Having one that is too large will take up more fuel and cost you more to hire. One that is too small means hiring a second one or making numerous trips in your car to move smaller goods. Inconvenient and costly.
- If you have a lot of stuff you don’t want, have a garage sale or take it to an op-shop. This can save you lots of cartons, effort and perhaps even the need to get a larger truck.
- Keep your old newspapers. These are excellent for wrapping crockery and other items and sheets can be crumpled and used to fill up the gaps to prevent movement.
When you use these 10 tips to move all your worldly possessions from one location to another, you not only help to save the environment, but often it also saves you on costs.