Going green in your business is not only important to help save resources, it often means a savings in costs that you didn’t expect. Since both these things are positive, there is really no reason for not making at least some changes towards sustainability, whether you run a small SEO business or a coffee shop.
Here are 5 ways to go green in your business –
- Saving on water usage is easy.
- Install low-flow toilets
- Fix dripping taps or leaking cisterns
- Choose low-flow taps and shower heads.
- If you have an outdoor area to maintain, use drought tolerant plants and mulch to prevent soil drying out. Install irrigation with a sensor so water is not wasted.
- If you clean with a hose, use a high pressure washer because it will use less water
- Waste reduction in the office
- In the office kitchen use bulk supplies of condiments rather than single serves, which are way more expensive.
- Encourage employees to bring refillable water bottles and their own coffee mugs, instead of using bottled water and plastic mugs.
- Compost kitchen waste and offer it to local growers
- Consider warm air hand dryers if you want to go paperless
- Save documents digitally if possible.
- Fuel consumption
- If possible, leave the car at home and ride a bike to work
- If that’s not possible, consider car-pooling or using public transport
- Business owners need to look at locating their office close to bike tracks or public transport. They should also provide safe bike racks.
- Nominate a day for employees to leave their car at home – with the chance to win a prize.
- Working from home will also save fuel.