If you are looking for home improvements that will save you money in the long run, you can’t go past the ‘green’ or eco-friendly type. Often these kinds of improvements are not even that expensive when compared to others such as upgrading the kitchen or bathroom. So if you are not looking to hire a Melbourne removal company just yet but are content to stay put, make your home cost-effective by considering to these suggestions.
- Call a good electrician and upgrade the lighting to LED or other energy efficient lights. The initial cost will soon be recouped by the savings in the cost of power. Plus, the bulbs will last much longer, so you will save on the cost of replacements.
- Consider solar power, but do your research carefully to make sure it will really save you money. Only if you intend to stay in the home for over 5 years will getting that loan be worth it. Of course, if you can pay for it without getting a loan that will certainly save on the cost of the interest.
- If you need to have lighting outside, solar lights can really help light up the way as well as spotlight your feature plants. Garden lights that have a little solar panel in the top are really inexpensive and add charm to the garden.
- Upgrade your old appliances. Most older appliances are just not energy efficient. You’ll notice the difference in your power bill once you have new ones. Most will also be water efficient, giving you a double savings. Be sure to look at the star rating labels on the outside of the appliances to ensure they are truly efficient.
- Seal up the cracks in your home. Many homes have cracks that the homeowners are often not aware of. To see if your external doors seal well, shine a torch around the edges at night. With the light off inside, you should be able to see the light shining through any cracks. There can also be cracks around plumbing pipes or cables that come into your home. Sliding windows can have a crack down the middle where the two panes meet when closed. Try sliding a sheet of paper between the two to find out.
- Check the seals on your fridge and freezer the same way. If a sheet of paper trapped in the door pulls out easily, the seals are not doing a good job and the appliance will be working harder than it needs to.
- Ensure that there are larger windows on opposite sides of the house so you can take advantage of the prevailing breeze to cool the house. This can save using fans or a/c at least some of the time.